Team Beach Body

Team Beach Body
Today is the day to get that baby weight off. Lose those last 10 pounds. Get healthy!! Shakeology,P90X, and Insanity will get you there Fast. Click on the icon or go to www.teambeachbody.com/heathermcmullin If you sign up to be a coach you get 25% off! Questions? Email me at heathermmcmullin@gmail.com

Friday, May 13, 2011

Heather's Surgery

5/12/11 11:00am

Heather asked that I update the family blog with information regarding her surgery today. At first I thought it an odd request that so many friends and family would request a play-by-play. However, it occurred to me that it would be quite a bit simpler than texting everyone, potentially leaving people out, and that there would definitely be time to pass.

Currently, Heather is being prepared for surgery. She is nervous, but after a priesthood blessing last night she feels a certain amount of comfort. It is sometimes difficult to balance the uncertainty of such a delicate procedure and the risks associated with the faith, knowledge, and spiritual confirmation of a positive outcome. There are definitive benefits that accompany membership in the Lord's church and a personal witness that Jesus is the Christ, our Savior.

Having experienced spinal fusion surgery five short months ago, the apprehension and waiting is the second worst part of such major surgery. Severe pain following the surgery is the first.

To summarize the procedure for those who have not been so informed, basically the rear lobes of Heather's brain have descended and the base of her skull is pressing them into the spinal cavity and against the spinal cord. The condition is called Chiari I and symptoms include severe headaches, numbness of arms and hands, vertigo, and blurred vision. Left unaddressed, the symptoms progress and may become permanent. As I understand it, the correction is three part; first, a laminectomy, or removal of the back part of the spinal vertebra covering the spinal cord, is performed on the upper most C1 vertebra; second, a small portion of the base of the skull is removed; third, a graft of the patients dura, or natural material covering the skull, is sewn into the location. The purpose is to create a 'soft' support for the descended lobes and allow the spinal fluid to flow freely in and around the spinal cord and brain. Consider though, that the measurements are in millimeters and the procedure is performed under the microscope. The descension of the lobes and surgical corrections are actually very minute.

It is fortunate and somewhat of a blessing that Chiari I is a physical condition as opposed to a more complicated disease such as cancer. Once the procedure is completed and the issue corrected, Heather is anticipated to make a full recovery and all symptoms will be reversed.

Heather and I appreciate the concern and well wishes of our many friends and family. I will continue to update this blog with the status of the surgery and subsequent recovery. The operation is expected to require four hours, until 5pm PT. Please continue to keep Heather in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Cade! Thanks sooo much for the post- you are both very much in our thoughts and prayers. keep the updates coming and give Heather our love!

Amy Elaine said...

Thinking of you both! Love you.

Darcie said...

Hey Cade... thanks for the update! I've been thinking about Heather today. I hope everything goes well. Send her all my love and well wishes! I was one of her roomies right before you two got married. :)

Dawn said...

Gentle hugs ...