5/20/11 8:00pm
"This is much more difficult than I ever thought it would be," Heather exclaimed once she regained her cognizance in the hospital. After returning home from the hospital Monday, Heather's condition steadily declined until she became virtually unresponsive Tuesday evening. The fear and adrenaline were consuming as I instinctively lifted Heather from the bed, carried her to the car, and drove her back the hospital Emergency Room (ER). The reason for not calling on an ambulance was the realization that she would have been rushed to the closest hospital, rather than Huntington Memorial where she received her surgery. Trust that with the speed I maintained she definitely arrived at Huntington Memorial, 16 miles away, faster than whatever wait/travel time was required for an ambulance to carry her to Foothill Hospital 3 miles away.
Life dictates certain experiences, however, the only worse scenario imaginable would be to witness the same with your child rather than a spouse. Though I consider myself a strong person, the anxiety and distress associated was difficult at times. An associate stated that and individual learns a lot about his/herself through such experiences. Personally, I have learned considerably more through Heather's surgery and recovery than my own. About myself, but also about family and friends.
Heather endured an additional two days in the hospital and returned home again around 8pm last night. Her condition is much improved and another visit to the ER is not anticipated. Heather was diagnosed with 'Chemical Meningitis.' Apparently, due to the excess swelling and fluid in the head following surgery, the brain reacts as if it is under attack from the real 'Viral/Bacterial Meningitis.' Similar symptoms are displayed including head pain, nausea, vomiting, lucidness, etc. as the body begins to 'shut down' certain functions. Left unaddressed, the condition may progress and inflict unconsciousness, seizures, coma, etc. even threaten ones life. However, we are confident and faithful the worst is behind Heather. Each new day will offer a marked improvement and time will heal all.
When Heather was readmitted to the hospital from the ER, she was placed in the Neurosciences and Stroke Center. Coincidently, the room provided was adjacent to Joshua's, who had been moved form ICU one day prior. Joshua is the young man to whom we extended a priesthood blessing in the ICU and who's family we shared so many special moments a with during Heather's initial recovery in the hospital. Yet another confirmation of the strength of the Lord and influence of the spirit. What are the odds? Knowing my presence was not positive, his mother stopped me in the corridor, immediately embraced me, and expressed concern. Appreciative, I inquired about Joshua and was pleased to learn of his progress since awaking from the coma on Monday. He is communicating somewhat normally and even walking with assistance in the hospital. I will continue to follow Joshua and his family, however, my heart is full in the knowledge he lived, will recover, and at age 29 has many cherished days ahead.
Friday, May 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






7 comments:
I can't imagine the stress that must have caused you. I have kept Heather in my prayers every day, and I know others have to. Thank heavens for your speedy driving to the correct hospital. I am sure you were inspired. So glad she is improving. LOVE, Brooke
I am so glad you are keeping detailed record of this trial/event and sharing it with us. I really appreciate it, because it allows me (and others) to know and pray in faith for Heather's recovery. Thank you and I hope and pray for Heather.
Oh my goodness!!!! I have been out of town and had no idea what you guys are going through. Cade...you are such an eloquent writer. Reading all of your posts has brought tears to my eyes and made my heartache for you two. I will be praying for Heather's speedy and productive recovery!!! Wishing you all the best!
My goodness. Poor baby girl. So glad you are on top of things. I have loved Heather she was little but I never knew the depth of my love for her until I learned of all of this. May God bless you and your darling family. Kisses please to Heather and give my love to Kathi and Richard. Always and forever...Maria Landon Barnhart <3
Wow. We are thankful Heather is making progress on her way to a full recovery. She has been in our prayers since we discovered her need for surgery and we put her name in the temple Wed night. May the Lord bless all of you during this difficult time.
I still check in on your blog from time to time and I'm so sorry to hear about the trials you're facing. I've been sending lots of prayers your way!
I have been worried with no updates on the blog. I am so sorry that Heather got so sick after surgery. She is in our prayers daily and my thoughts all the time. Please tell Heather I love her and I am praying for her quick recovery as is my family. Cade, bless your heart... you have endured a lot. My prayers are with you as well. I know that the Lord loves you and Heather and He is watching out for you. What a wonderful family you have. The faith you and Heather have shown through out this process strengthens mine.
Post a Comment