In preparation for the surgery and the most traumatic experience of her life, months ago Heather dyed her hair dark. She cried, but I actually prefer the color to blond. In her pre opp appointment with her surgeon, Dr. Fineman, I explained that the actual success of Heather's recovery was directly tied to the amount of hair loss required for the procedure. Dr. Fineman laughed, however, no truer truth has ever been spoken.
Post opp I can honestly say, Heather is going to be pissed. She is recovering well and walking laps around the fourth floor of the hospital. Daily the pain subsides and the levels of the various medications are reduced. But the devil will have nowhere to hide when she attempts to style the hair shaved half way up the back of her head like a troubled middle school teen.
Heather receives visits daily from friends and family. She is at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, CA, Room E440. Peculiarly two doors down from Room E442, my recovery location following my spinal fusion in December of last year (it is far to soon to constantly view that room each day). It is awesome to witness the compassion of organizations and individuals when the need is manifested. When mother is incapacitated, legions amass and the assistance is staggering. Why? Because that is what it takes. The effort definitely equals the task. In contrast when I received my surgery, other than family only one person visited me in the hospital (you know who you are). A lot unexpected, however, different roles dictate a dissimilar response... that or I need to make a more substantial effort to make some friends.
Dr. Fineman anticipates Heather will be discharged from the hospital possibly tomorrow, definitely Monday. I will be by her side at the hospital until then.
During Heather's tenure in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) immediately following surgery, I became acquainted with the DeGache family. Their son Joshua, age 29, contracted Meningitis and after a few seizures was placed under a controlled/induced coma since 5/10/11. With little more information to date, the family lives in the hospital with the hope that Joshua's strength and youth will kill the viral infection prior to the coma being lifted by the doctors. Perspective is everything, and leaning on one another in the waiting room during hours of restricted visitation, bonds are formed. I continue to feel legitimately concerned for Joshua, and they for Heather. We have shared pleasantries, stories, laughs, prayers, and food. However, today the opportunity was presented to share far more, the spirit and priesthood. Following a visit by our loving Bishop Lemmon and his wife, I asked that he accompany me for an introduction to the DeGache family and an offering of a priesthood blessing for their son. The family readily accepted the invitation and Joshua's mother promptly inquired, "why didn't you say something sooner?!" I apologized and explained sarcastically that I wasnt necessarily dressed for the occasion (I packed nothing but athletic shorts with a loud patterns and reef sandals). Though ICU typically allows only (2) individuals into the recovery rooms at a time, an exception was made for 'clergy.' The boy's father, mother, and step-mother were able to witness the blessing and were pleased with the sweet words uttered. As the blessing was extended, Joshua became more active than the family had seen since the coma was induced. With our hands on his head he motioned against the nylon restraints firmly as if desiring to leave hospital bed. Unfamiliar individuals brought together through extremely unfortunate circumstances embraced and the family extended its gratitude. I sincerely love the gospel and the capacity to offer support and benefit to people found in otherwise helpless situations. I later explained to Joshua's father that I could not sit by truly listening, sympathizing, and caring, then not offer that which was within my purview to provide.
I continue to concern myself with Joshua and follow up on his condition and progress.






7 comments:
I've already thought about it and I decided you guys can shave the back of my head at Powell in support of Heather. I'm serious. I think John has some hair to spare too.
Thanks for the update. I can't imagine all that you guys have been through this year. You guys are amazing and will make it through stronger.
WOW! That Joshua Story is amazing. GO Cade! So glad Heather is doing good. Heather doesn't need to worry a 1/2 shaved head won't stop her from being the most gorgeous girl ever.
Cade! I can't believe that Heather has never let you post on the blog before! You are an eloquent writer... and had me in tears... You big jerk- ha! I so appreciate your update and am so touched by the strength and faith you and Heather have. You are amazing examples for us... and as you are learning from your many trials we are learning so much from you! Your optimism and gratitude... patience and testimony... are incredible. And in your situation it would have been easy to ignore those around you and just consume yourself with the trial at hand... and instead you have reached out in love towards others and helped where you can, no matter the circumstance. Loved the story about Joshua and his family... So so neat. Well anyways, we love you guys and you continue to be in our prayers and thoughts!
So happy to hear Heather is improving and recovering well. We are still praying for her regularly at our house! Perhaps, Cade, you should consider a career change to writing!! You have a gift. I was touched by the story of Joshua. In fact, I am planning to share it in Primary on Sunday. I am in charge of sharing time and it is on the Preisthood. Please tell Heather I love her and I am thinking, praying and cheering for her in Utah. I am confident that Heather will find a way to look good amid the hair loss. She always looks good! Thanks for the updates... keep em comin'!
I read Christy's comment - does that mean they are coming to Powell for sure??? I'll bring the clippers, Christy!
Dido Kim and Angie...minus the sharing time thing :) Love you guys and are so thankful for the updates. You will have to tell Joshua's family that a myriad of your friends and family are praying for them now too. What a blessing to be a part of such a great work.
Cade,
I agree with Kim. Your words are bringing me to tears tonight. What a loving husband. I would love to be the one to clean up Heather's hair. It would be an honor! You are in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.
Love, Jennifer (& Craig)
Post a Comment