5/16/11 8pm
As much as we love Huntington Hospital and the nurses whom cared for us, today Heather is home. I am tired and she is exhausted. This morning Dr. Fineman removed the bandages from Heather's head, for which I thought I was prepared. Four long days after the operation tears filled my eyes and my throat clenched tight. The two six inch incisions required thirty five staples to close. Heather's remaining hair is matted and tangled with dried blood that cannot be cleansed for another many days. I love my wife and and feel devastated for her.
However, we consider ourselves truly blessed. With different employment and insurance would we have had the opportunity to realize the procedures? Once the new healthcare laws are completely enacted in the next few years, could we have received what are considered elective surgeries? Would we have been able to choose our surgeons and hospital? Of course our lives can always be more complex and difficult, and though I love the story of Job from the bible I do not envy his experience. Days, weeks, and months will pass and Heather's recovery will come. The maturity, knowledge, and testimony acquired will endure throughout life and the eternities.
Joshua DeGache received a miracle this day also. I sincerely believe it was directly tied to the priesthood blessing and the faith and acceptance of his family. Following the blessing two days ago, Joshua's activity level under the induced coma increased significantly, as if he was readying for the opportunity to recuperate. This morning the neurologist decided to reduce the Propathol (the drug that killed Michael Jackson) dosages merely to gauge Joshua's response, and he immediately awoke. After a torturous week without considerable progress or new information, relief and overwhelming emotion descended on his parents. The breathing tube was removed and they established limited and labored verbal communication. Their 29 year old, tattooed, tough Italian son asked immediately for his 'momma' then to go 'home.' True love, charity, and happiness is manifested little in life; the new spouse or child, the convert baptized into the church, and/or a reunion with old friends/family. However, today I witnessed the spared life of a loved one, potentially the purest of all.
I continue to pray for Joshua and his family, for my wife and her recovery, and for patience with my children and ability to fulfill both parental roles for a time.
Monday, May 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
Cade, thank you for the updates. I check every day for more info on Heather. I am so happy to hear she is home. Know, that our prayers and thoughts are with Heather, and the rest of your family. So happy to hear that Joshua is recovering and that the power of the preisthood has blessed and changed his life. Your testominy is awesome, thanks for sharing it. I am condifent that I would have my share of tears and sadness to loose my hair, but please tell Heather for me that she is beautiful with or without hair. Her spirit, light, love for life and faith are what make her truly beautiful and that still remains with her. Please give her my love.
Ummm. I know you can figure out that I meant confident not condifent! What the? I need to slow down when I type!
You and your beautiful family are in our prayers! Thanks for the updates. I have never met Heather but from pictures I'm sure she could rock the Sinead O' look and still be positively beautiful.
Much love,
Jen and Brock
So when can I come and help out so you don't have to do both?? I am serious. I would love to!! Let me know.
Post a Comment