
My poor baby got in a fight with the street and the street won.
We were riding our bikes down the street to a neighbors house one day.
I sent the boys ahead because it is literally down the block.
I was a little behind because I was helping Reagan go down the drive way. When we
got down the drive way I heard a scream and
Cooper saying, "MOM, DAD, CARTER IS BLEEDING!!"
Cade got there before I did because I still had to wait for Reagan. When
I finally got to Carter there was blood every where and
Cooper said,"Look there are Carter's teeth!"
SAY WHAT???
I started to panic.
Cade said, "Heather it's bad we need to go to the hospital now."
So I called the friends whose house we were riding to, the Duncans.
They took Cooper and Reagan for us and we raced to the hospital.
We went all the way to Pasadena so we could go to Huntington Memorial hospital.
It turned out to be the longest night EVER!

His front teeth got knocked clean out of his head!



And he got a cut that went all the way to the bone.

It was really bad!

The first doctor we got was horrible. Carter had to go through so much pain.
When Dr. Rosenfeld was numbing the wound the needle was going in one side of his chin, poking out the other side of his chin and the medication was squirting the WALL!
No exaggeration.
He carelessly grabbed chunks of skin, tied loose stitches and was using metal
tweezers to push against Carters wound to get the stitch through.
The picture above is Dr. Rosenfelds FINISHED job.
Seriously.
When he was done Carter's insides were still hanging out and it was still oozing.
It was HORRIBLE!

When the doctor left we told them that the job he did was NOT ok and we wanted someone else to fix it. The nurse wanted us to talk to Dr. Rosenfeld and tell him about it. We said No we just want a new doctor. NOW! We didn't want Dr. Rosenfeld trying to fix his job.
When Carter found out he had to get it done all over again he flipped out.
By this time it was late, he was drugged and tired and exhausted from all the pain he had been through. They had to strap him down and the look in his eyes was almost more than I could take. There was sheer terror in his eyes. Cade and I had to help hold him down.
I had to make myself NOT cry and stay in the room.
It was almost more than I could take seeing my poor little Carter that scared and in that much pain. Being strapped down wasn't working so I talked to him and told him that they were going to have to put him to sleep if he didn't hold still. He finally calmed down enough and agreed to lay still if they let him out of the tie downs. So we let
him out and like he promised he laid still as can be as the new doctor
re-opened the wound, cleaned it again, and stitched him up the right way.

Above is the job the second doctor, Dr. Tiner, did. He numbed him up the right way and all the way, cut the edges of the skin so he would have a nice even scar, did internal stitches,
and eight stitches on the out side.
In other words he did it the right way. I don't understand how Dr. Rosenfeld felt
ok with the job that he did. If we didn't stand up for better care for Carter then
he would have left it like it was and Carter would have ended up with a
horrible jagged scar and possible an infection because it was not closed properly. SEESH!!!!!
What is wrong with people??
If you even have a question about the care you are receiving or the care you child is receiving, STAND UP FOR YOURSELF!! AND DEMAND BETTER CARE!!
It is so worth it and we are so glad we did.

A couple days later. He is nice and healed up now. You won't even be
able to see the scar when he is bigger. Poor little dude!
We love you Cardie!
A BIG thank you to the Duncan family for helping us with Cooper and Reagan.
Also to my Mom for driving all the way out from Newport Beach to
get Cooper and Reagan from the Duncan family, put them to bed, and watch them until we got home from the hospital. We are so grateful we have people we can count on when
we really need help. Such a huge blessing!
Notes about the horrible care Carter recieved while under Dr. Rosenfelds care:
Some of the comments Dr. Rosenfeld made when he came into the room
I should be retired, but my associates want me here
-When administering the local antiseptic
He was sitting on a chair NOT leaning over Carter so he could see what he was doing
He poked him once and didn't aim well so he poked him two more times until he got to "about" the right spot
He then proceeded to plunge in and out of the side of Carter's open would.
THREE times the needle came out of the OTHER side of Carter's chin and the medicine squirted the WALL. THREE times.
The medicine was bulding on one side of the would and the other side had barely any medicine
Carter was not all the way numb in some spots because of the lack of attention to where the medicine was administered
-Cleaning the would
Dr. Rosenfeld did not even open the wound all the way to see the extent of the damage.
He opened it a little and then haphazardly dumped iodine into the wound in a careless manner
He again was not over Carter. He poured the iodine from an awkward angle and missed the first time he tried to put it on. Carter was not moving either.
-Stitches
When he was opening the equipment for the stitches he made the comment TWO times, "What is this?" "Oh this must be new"
The way he was stitching Carter up was absolutely ridiculous. He fumbled through out the entire procedure.
Carter was NOT all the way numb so it was extremely painful. Dr. Rosenfeld kept saying "Oh it doesn't hurt"
He started on the right side of the wound and carelessly put two messy stitches on the right side, not tying a knot in any of them
Then he moved to the left side and put two more stitches in, again not tying a not in any of them
He attempted one stitch 10 times before he could even get it through.
Then put one in the middle and finished back on the left side.
None of the stitches were finished properly
Two of the stitches were protruding from the wound with out being tied off.
The knot of the last stitch was not against the skin and it has a loop that stuck out from the wound
When he was stitching he would use the tweezers to push hard against the would in his attempts to get the suture through.
He kept saying these tools are not the proper tools. The assistant offered to get him what he wanted and he declined
-When he was "done" with the procedure the inside of the wound was still visible.
-It was jagged
-It was still oozing drops of blood
-Had it been left the way it was it would have left a jagged, terrible scar.
After he left we felt that the work Dr. Rosenfeld did was NOT satisfactory in the least and asked for it to be done again the right way. It took another hour or so for another plastic surgeon to get there. By this time Carter was tired from the codine and benedryl they had given him to make him drowsy and aid with the pain. When Dr.Tiner arrived Carter had already gone through so much he was beyond being able to be calm.
We tried to hold him down, he was so scared. Then we strapped him down and he was so terrified that he was screaming and thrashing. We let him out of the straps and he was then able to hold still enough for Dr. Tiner to fix what Dr. Rosenfeld had done to Carter.
HE SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD TO GO THROUGH THIS TWICE.
Dr. Tiner was amazing.
He had to re-open the wound and start all over again.
-Things he did that Dr. Rosenfeld did not
Throughly examined the wound
carefully administered more local anesthetic in the proper areas
Cleaned it properly
Made 5-6 sutures inside the wound and tied them all
Cut some of the skin away so the skin would form a straight line
Made 8, straight, tied off sutures on the outside of the wound, so it would close and heal properly
When Dr. Tiner was finished the wound was not oozing or bleeding.
The inside of the wound was not visible
The wound was straight and properly closed.






10 comments:
I'm so glad you two stood up to the nurses and hospital and demanded another Dr. be called. I know it can be intimidating, but it doesn't take a Dr. To know that one was done wrong!
POOR CARTER!
OMG, I'm so glad you took those pics!
HOLY CRAP Heather!!!!!! That made my stomach turn. I cried for you guys just reading it. I can't imagine going through that. Those injuries were BAD!!! Great job standing up for Carter. What a whack job doctor the first one was. Geez. I'm so glad he's doing better and healing nicely. What a tough little boy! (and mommy!) Best of luck! xoxo
Are you kidding me? What a joke. Poor little Carter. I am so glad you had a DIFFERENT doctor fix it. I was getting sick to my stomach just looking at the pictures. Poor little guy. He looks so much older with his front teeth gone! I hope you doing well... minus the accident! Hope you got our birth announcement. Love ya. Keep in touch!
xoxox
Ang
Carter... you are the man! That's a serious battle wound! Get well soon buddy! - Kris
DUde Heather I couldn't even bring my self to read the rest of the post after viewing all the pictures. Poor kid that was one serious fall. The good thing is those were his baby teeth and not adult, also the chin scare will make for one sweet dramatized story to lurer all the women over to him one day. We'll keep the little man in our prayers.
good job heather for sticking up for your baby! i think that hospital needs a strongly worded letter from you about the first doctor. im glad ur little carter is doing better!
OH MY!! I am so sorry that is terrible. I can't imagine the pain the poor little guy went through. I hope all heals well.
So sorry.
can you say law suit? that is disgusting! i am livid for you and your poor sweet baby. i would have done the exact same thing...what a freak.
CRAZY! The same thing happened to my sister-in-law. The type of accident. Not the crazy doctor though! I'm so glad you got someone to fix it!!
Wow Heather!! I could not believe those pictures!!! Poor Carter!!! I had to wake John up out of a dead sleep to show him!!! :( So sad. You are such a GREAT mommy!!! Good job for standing up!
Love ya,
Sandie
Post a Comment